Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Following a dream toward freedom

"Following a dream toward freedom"
465 words











"Following a dream toward freedom"

Freedom has always come very easily for
me. I've always had it and I've never been
without it. But as I sit here thinking I remember
all the stories that were told to me, about the
struggles we were put through to get these
freedoms. Since I am a black woman my
general knowledge of history tells me that
the struggle for freedom was extremely
great. Blacks had to endure slavery and go
through wars to achieve their freedoms.
Woman had to live in silence while the world
was run without their say. To overcome this
they created woman's suffrage and woman's
rights acts to finally allow them their
freedoms. It is an extremely triumphant feeling
to know the things they went through to give
me the luxuries I have today. But what if they
didn't? What if we were still having to fight
wars for our freedoms? I often wonder what
slavery would be like? Looking in todays
society slavery is still the same nightmare it
was then. People in South Africa and Iran
wake to this same nightmare everyday. They
have no personal rights or freedoms at all.
Everyday they live in fear for their lives. If its
not being threatened by their own government
its being threatened by the lack of food they
receive. Imagining the things they go through
everday makes me wonder about my freedoms.
Why is it that I can go to my refrigerator
whenever I want and be able to get a nice,
clean drink of water. When Meanwhile in some
foreign country some 10 year old kid, who has
the same thirst as I do has to go to a lake
where the animals bathe to get a foul, disease
infested drink. Knowing about these peoples
sufferings really makes me realize how
important and how special the freedoms that
Americans posses are. I believe everyone takes
their freedoms for granted. We are by far
granted the greatest freedoms in the
world.But we are far from perfect and
unfortunately we have our own struggles for
freedom. Ranging from racial freedoms to
religious freedoms. I believe that freedom is
the greatest thing in the world but
unfortunately there are a lot of sacrifices to
be made. Americans need to realize that
freedom is not a necessity. We don't have to
have it. Freedom is a gift. It is the most precious
gift in the world simply because it cannot be
bought in any store. It is given to you just for
being an American. My last thought on this is
that I think everyone has had and still has
there struggles with freedom. But I believe
that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger,
so the struggles we endure are worth it in the
end........Aren't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment